Motorists can also cause pedestrian accidents when they:
- Do not come to a complete stop at a stop sign
- Fail to stop before turning right on red at an intersection
- Do not provide enough room for pedestrians or bicyclists on a street or road
- Travel too fast down neighborhood streets
- Cause drunk driving accidents
The Law Offices of Cliff Enten is led by personal injury lawyer Cliff Enten, providing legal representation to victims of pedestrian accidents across the state (with Offices in Colorado Springs, Denver and Fort Collins).
Denver Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you have been struck by a vehicle you can benefit from scheduling consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer Denver, CO residents trust. Pedestrian accidents are all too common. They can happen when a person is walking in a high-traffic area or if a car fails to yield to a pedestrian at an intersection. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you can claim compensation based on your injuries and other factors. Meet with a trusted lawyer like one from The Law Offices of Cliff Enten to discuss what your legal options are.
Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Denver, CO
Clients who receive legal assistance from The Law Offices of Cliff Enten have received numerous positive case outcomes. As a seasoned lawyer, Cliff Enten has provided legal help for clients for over 30 years, helping them recover the compensation that they deserve so that they can move forward with their lives after their devastating accident experience. Every client should work with a lawyer who has exhibited competence handling a variety of personal injury cases. Allow a lawyer to explain your legal options so that you can take action as early as you can.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents have many different causes. In many cases they happen when parties are not paying attention or when a driver is committing negligent actions. Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents include speeding, failing to yield, miscommunication and ignoring traffic laws. When a driver is not paying attention for even a fraction of a second, it can put pedestrians at risk of suffering an injury. They can strike a pedestrian who has the right of way if they are not being careful.
Injuries From Pedestrian Accidents
A pedestrian accident lawyer in Denver, CO knows that there are many types of injuries an accident can result in. In many cases that a lawyer regularly sees, pedestrian accidents cause injuries such as broken bones, lacerations, fractures, spinal injuries, head injuries and leg injuries. They often require lengthy hospital stays and months of treatment. Because of the seriousness of the injuries, many patients are not able to return to work right away, putting them in difficult financial situations.
Damages You Can Claim
In a lawsuit, damages are losses that a victim can recover such as medical expenses, missed wages, pain and suffering and reduced earnings capacity. They are classified as economic and non-economic, but in some cases punitive damages may be awarded. Accident-related expenses can be too much for a victim to pay for, and many patients struggle to cover them. Accurately listing the total number of damages is important so that victims can be awarded the full amount that they are entitled to and deserve.
Legal Assistance is Available
Do not wait until it’s too late to explore our legal options. You may be entitled to a higher settlement amount than you think. Schedule a risk-free consultation with a top-rated pedestrian accident lawyer in Denver, Colorado as soon as you can if you are interested in filing a personal injury claim.
How to Avoid Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents occur every day in Colorado. Depending on the circumstances, both pedestrians and motorists can be found at-fault in an accident. Pedestrians are especially vulnerable during accidents involving vehicles. They lack the protection of a car, so pedestrians are more likely to suffer catastrophic injuries, like traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries. However, as a pedestrian, you can still take steps to reduce your risk of getting in an accident. Here are a few ways to prevent accidents.
- Obey traffic signs and signals. Motorists are not the only ones who need to follow traffic signs and signals. Pedestrians are also expected to obey all traffic signs and signals. Look both ways before you cross the street and only cross when the light is green.
- Use crosswalks. Crosswalks were created specifically to keep pedestrians safe. Therefore, you should always use them. Do not cross in the middle of the street, even if it seems more convenient. Doing so may increase your risk of getting hit by a vehicle.
- Avoid distractions. Distractions are one of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents. That is why both motorists and pedestrians should avoid them. When you are crossing the street, do not read text messages or listen to music on your headphones. Pay attention to the road ahead so that you can stay safe as you walk.
- Make yourself more visible. As a pedestrian, do not just assume that all motorists see you. They may be distracted by something else. It is up to you to make yourself more visible to them. For example, before you cross the street, try making eye contact with oncoming drivers. If you have to walk at night, wear bright-colored clothes. You may also consider bringing a flashlight with you.
- Do not drink alcohol. Just as you would refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages before getting behind the wheel, you should also avoid alcohol as a pedestrian. Alcohol can impair your judgment and lower your reaction time, increasing your risk of getting into an accident.
- Find the safest walkways. When you are out walking, it is always best to use sidewalks. However, if there is no sidewalk, the next best thing to do is walk facing traffic. Be especially alert and try not to get too close to traffic.
Denver Pedestrian Accident Law Infographic
Fatigued Drivers and Pedestrian Accidents
Tiredness is no excuse for an accident, and a pedestrian accident lawyer Denver, CO trusts can help you get the compensation you deserve if you’ve been hit by a dangerously negligent driver.
At The Law Offices of Cliff Enten, we understand that your situation is overwhelming: Not only were you hit by a car, but now you’re suddenly swamped with steep medical bills and uncertainty about your future.
Fortunately, we’re happy to walk you through your pedestrian accident case, and we’re happy to provide all the information you need to get back on your feet. Get in touch with us today, and read on to learn more about how fatigued drivers can be negligent enough to warrant legal action.
What is Fatigued Driving?
Fatigued driving, at its most straightforward, is driving any time you’re feeling physically exhausted or tired. Many people assume this only means lack of sleep, but it can also apply to any time you’re behind the wheel after strenuous activity. Even a drive home from the gym can become dangerous if you failed to recognize the warning signs of fatigued driving.
Fatigued driving is almost as dangerous as drunk driving. Driving while tired means failing to react in time to changing road and traffic conditions, and even a loss of short-term memory. A fatigued driver may not be paying enough attention to pedestrians and other vehicles, instead becoming preoccupied with just staying awake.
What are the Warning Signs of Fatigued Driving?
Driving while tired can lead to some dangerous behind-the-wheel behavior. Some drivers swerve between lanes, and others have slowed reflexes. This is a potentially-deadly combination, especially if they’re in an area where people are oftentimes walking, jogging, or just catching a breath of fresh air.
It’s a driver’s responsibility to ensure he or she is ready to drive safely in the first place. While it may be difficult to prove that a driver was dangerously fatigued when he or she hit you, a Denver pedestrian accident lawyer can walk you through your case to determine whether or not he or she was dangerously negligent in another way.
How Can a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Help Me?
A pedestrian accident is serious. Even if the vehicle was moving at a slow speed, humans just weren’t meant to be hit by multi-ton blocks of metal and rubber. In any pedestrian accident, you need to get the facts straight to determine who was at fault, why the accident happened in the first place, and how you can move on with your life with minimal fuss – because you’ve had plenty to deal with already.
Fortunately, a pedestrian accident lawyer can walk you through the ins and outs of your case. Your lawyer can work with you to examine all the details of your accident to see how it happened, why it happened, who was responsible for your injuries, and how you can get some justice and financial compensation to help you further down the road to recovery.
Get in touch with The Law Offices of Cliff Enten today, and see how a Denver pedestrian accident lawyer can make a difference.